Getting to know someone can be hard, especially if you have social anxiety or bad experiences with people in the past. This post is a little how to on how to get to know someone with a positive effect!
Some things you can ask
- Can you tell me a bit about yourself?
- What makes you happy?
- What do you like to do in your spare time?
- What hobbies do you have?
- Do you collect anything?
- What are your goals in life?
- What’s something that’s changed you as a person?
- What are your favourite animals?
- What’s your favourite colour?
- What’s something you want me to know about you?
- What sort of music do you listen to?
- Can you show me something you work on? Art, collections, hobbies etc
- (If they have a partner) how did you meet? How long have you been together? Etc
- What overseas do domestic trips have you made?
- Where is your favourite place to go?
- What’s your favourite food?
You get the idea!
How to achieve a positive friendship
Go into the friendship without judgement. Listen to them how you want to be listened to. Treat them how you want them to treat you. Build boundaries early on. Don’t start sharing around everything that’s been said to you. Don’t make the friendship all about you. Don’t turn things around on the person. Don’t overthink what you’re talking about. Find a mutual ground and connect there. Don’t make friendships just to use to your advantage. Don’t make people feel bad for their life experiences. Don’t make them feel bad for not being able to do something e.g go somewhere, do a certain activity etc. don’t make someone feel bad for putting their health first, chronic disease is a bitch and being rude about it doesn’t win you any favours. Make time to talk to the person. Don’t be afraid to leave your comfort zone, but don’t over do it. Take your time, it takes a while to actually get to know someone.
This is only a short post, but straight to the point! Have fun and try the tips out. You never know what could happen!